Wednesday, June 29, 2011

How He Came...

May 10, 2011 Tuesday. (5-10-11)

We went to St All's at 6 a.m. My Dr. had planned to break my water when we got there in hopes to get my labor and contractions going. I was having a few contractions the night before but nothing real consistent. The nurse checked me to see how far I was dilated and I was about the same 3 to 3 1/2. They hooked up the monitors to my baby's heart beat and my contractions, then proceeded to prepare my arm for an IV. I hate those things! They are quite uncomfortable, so I was dreading it, then Her first try it broke my blood vein and I had to have it done in the top of my hand.

My Dr. was supposed to be there at 7 to break my water but didn't get there until we had already been there for 2 hours (she was stuck at a meeting). When she got there she broke my water and sent us walking.



The 2 hours of walking didn't feel like they were doing much good. I was having contractions randomly about 7 min, or 11 min, 5, 8, what ever consistently but not really. Having never gone through labor on my own I didn't know what to expect.





This seemed way too easy. So after 2 hours they decided to start me on patosin. Which means no more walking and harder contractions. I was curious to see if my inconsistent contractions were making any progress, but to my surprise they didn't even check me. I just assumed They didn't want to increase my chances of an infection because my water was already broke.
The minimal amount of patosin was getting hard. I was needing to concentrate an breathe through some of those contractions. I asked "when can I have my Epidural?" They said, "we want you to be contracting consistently for a while before you get it because we don't want the contractions to slow down too much."

So when they upped my patosin I was not to happy. Contractions were already getting hard and they were giving me more!



After over an hour of that they said it would take 20 min to get medicine in my system before I could have the epidural, by then I needed my mothers help for breathing! It was either breathe or cry! They still hadn't checked me. The anesthesiologist finally got ready and it took a long time to find the right spot after 20 min of poking and FISHING for the right spot (he got it in one spot and said that wouldn't work and he would have to poke me again); finally he got it. They got the medicine into me and only half of me went numb, (which didn't surprise me, same thing happened with my last kid). Not long after that I said, "I'm starting to feel some pressure," and the nurse said, " maybe we should check you..." and she said I was at a ten and a +1! Time to push!!


They sent a 911 page to my Dr. Then about 5-10 min max of pushing he was out. Zack was out after being on patosin for only 2 hours. I wish I could have known my progress throughout the process, but my guess is they were trying to give me an epidural during my transition contractions, the hardest ones. They might not have given it to me if they had know how far along I really was! I got numb in just barley enough time to push.


In the end, I was good, Zack was great, and we went home 24 hours later!

No comments: