Tuesday, May 25, 2010

A New Milestone...

This may seem trivial or pointless to most people, but in our home Tyler eating something "new" is a BIG deal. So yesterday we had a simple, relaxed evening. Nothing formal for dinner, (although we almost always have dinner around the table every day) I just made some chicken nuggets for Tyler and grilled chicken for Tory and I. I was washing some strawberries for Chase and thought "how can a kid not like strawberries?" Sure the tiny seeds might throw you off at first, and some strawberries can be quite tart, but I was feeling very optimistic at the thought of offering some to Tyler. So I grabbed one strawberry and one carrot stick and went to the table.

I figured my chances were better if I cut up the strawberry into pieces and offered them with a fork, (nothing cold and wet to touch). And to my surprise, after offering it to him about 3 times he opened his mouth and reluctantly ate a bite! The taste was obviously a little shock at first, but tolerable. Carrots took a little more coaxing, but he did eventually take a few bites of the carrot.

In the end, Tyler ate one whole strawberry and almost a whole carrot stick.(Chase pretending to be a bunny wanting lots of carrots helped encourage Tyler). Plus, the whole experience was done with no screaming or forcing involved, and that is another big deal!

2 comments:

Heather and Parker Lyons said...

That's exciting Mel! Good job Ty! He has come so far.

freckleannie said...

Melissa,

It's been too long since we've seen all of you. I love "catching up" by reading you blog. I'm hoping we will get a chance to see all of you at Krystell's reception at the end of the month. We are going to be out there for the wedding. It would be great to see you!